My inky travels along life's rocky road

Wednesday 6 May 2015

UK Stampers Postcard Swap - May


For this month's postcard swap on the UK Stampers forum, Sam has decided to allow us to choose our own theme. This is always a tough choice for me because I can never decide what to do but this postcard came about through a combination of recent events and things on my desk. As these go through the post naked ie with no envelope, the embellishments have to be firmly stuck on and flat.
Firstly the stamp, which is not a rubber one but a hand-carved wooden one. Many years ago I was lucky enough to visit Jaipur in India for a wedding. Whilst there, I had a chance to visit a workshop where they hand printed fabric. I saw this elephant wood block and asked if I could buy it as it reminded me of the elephants who took part in the wedding festivities. This has been sitting on my desk recently as I found it while sorting through some things. As it is wooden, you cannot get as clean an impression as you would from a rubber stamp but it printed fairly well. I've been wanting to try some zentangling for a while and thought this would be a good place to start. My conclusion was I don't have the patience or the attention to detail for zentangling and did not feel at all 'zen' by the time I'd finished!
The background involved a stencil, some punched and die cut shapes, gesso, gold gelato and DIs. I then stamped a paisley pattern with Brilliance platinum planet which only shows when it catches the light. Finally I used a splatter stamp with gold embossing powder. This was inspired by a recent trip to India and a trip to St Petersburg where I saw so many ornate rooms sumptuously decorated with gold.
I matted onto a black base card to provide a frame for the image. I shall have to figure out how to put the recipient's address on the back so that the postman can read it!
Edited to add: I felt the card lacked something so I decided to add a few punched flowers to the postcard and this is the final result:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and value all your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...