My inky travels along life's rocky road

Thursday 6 January 2022

Monthly Tag Challenge - January


This month's challenge was to use a favourite poem and the colour yellow. I initially thought of 'Daffodils' by Wordsworth but don't have a daffodil stamp. I have a sunflower stamp but no favourite poem for it.

My choice was 'Still I Rise' by Maya Angelou. You can read the whole poem here and there are some very powerful YouTube clips of the author reciting the poem herself.

Having chosen the poem, I had an image in my head of how to depict it but getting it down on paper was difficult. I knew I wanted to use the hot air balloon which is an old wood-mounted rubber stamp with nothing on it to show who it was made by. Having stamped and coloured it with alcohol markers I put it on a sky with clouds background with tumbled glass and mowed lawn DI for the ground. I added some Crafty Individual birds and some hickory smoke DI to the background. The eyes by Hampton Arts are second generation stamping with hickory smoke.

In my head I had a picture of negative words floating in the background but I didn't want to use my horrible handwriting and none of my many alphas - stamps or dies - were small enough. I finally found some old peel-offs where the letters are @3mm tall. Only problem was trying to pick short words that I still had letters for which is why I used idle instead of lazy (no Ys left and I'd already used up the X's making Ys). The Y from 'ugly' is partly hidden behind the balloon because I had to use an upside down K. I coloured the letters with a grey marker to tone down the shininess. 

Before adding the balloon and verse I splattered some poppy red Twinkling H2Os over the tag and made a few cuts into the edges of the tag.

Not exactly my original image but I'm happy I made use of what I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and value all your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...